Nestled at the foot of the wooded slopes of Mount Meru, this unique hotel stands amid coffee plantations on the shores of tranquil Lake Duluti. Designed to echo the traditional style of the colonial coffee farm, which originally stood on this site, Lake Duluti Serena Hotel (formerly Serena Mountain Village - Arusha) offers a range of tastefully presented cottage-styled rooms set amid extensive landscaped grounds.
Standing at the gateway to the famous Tanzanian ‘Northern Safari Circuit', the hotel offers a broad range of attractions, which include: walking, mountain biking, canoeing on the lake, and trips to the nearby Arusha and Mount Meru national parks.
The hotel features a stone-built reception with adjoining lounge, library, restaurant, boutique and business centre. Imposing in stature and spacious in concept, the design of the new building echoes the hotel's original incarnation as a working coffee farm dating back to colonial times.
• A selection of ensuite rooms and suites
• Elegant dining room, library and garden terraces
• Extensive flower gardens and lawns
• Lakeside dining
• Guided walks, canoeing or mountain biking
• Tented conference room
• Wedding planning and honeymoon venue
• Gift shop, business centre, WiFi
• Extensive selection of sports and activities
• Cultural dance and music
• At the gateway to the northern Tanzanian safari circuit
• Mountain biking around the coffee plantations
• Canoeing on Lake Duluti
• Sundowners by the lake
• Climbs of Mount Meru, Africa's 5th highest mountain
• Visits to the crater lakes of Arusha National Park
The Lodge stands on the shores of Lake Duluti, 20 kilometres from Arusha and 60 kilometres from Kilimanjaro International Airport.
The rooms and suites are presented in the style of stone-built cottages, which are grouped in clusters around a flower-filled central ‘village square'. Spacious and elegantly presented in classic country-house style, they feature marble bathrooms, double French doors leading out into the gardens, leaded windows, a stylish work or vanity area, and large and comfortable beds.
Room facilities include:
• Ceiling fans
• Walk-in mosquito netting
• Work space and vanity unit
• Mini bar
• Telephone and WiFi
• Satellite TV
• Laundry, valet and shoeshine services
• Mineral water and toiletries
• Bathrobe and slippers
• 24-hour room service
• Safe facilities at reception
• 24-hour medical service
• Children's meals, beds, babysitting
Mountain Village Suites
With panoramic views over banks of bougainvillea towards lovely Lake Duluti; set in lush grounds; and enjoying their own private terraces, the Mountain Village Suites offer a stylishly relaxed sitting room with private bar; and a magnificently luxurious ensuite bedroom.
The spacious bedroom is luxuriously appointed with a king-sized double bed with walk-in mosquito net, sumptuous furnishings, dressing area and marble ensuite bathroom. The elegantly appointed sitting room: enjoys panoramic views and is tastefully and relaxingly furnished while offering: a fully stocked mini-bar, digital multi-channel TV and direct dial telephone. The room also features a generous balcony overlooking the grounds. 24-hour room service is available and fruit and wine will be laid out to welcome our guests. The suite is set slightly apart from the rest of the rooms and enjoys its own private access.
Dining and bars
Both the bar and restaurant are located within the traditionally stone-built central reception area and offer blazing log fires, lake and garden views, and an elegant yet relaxed ambience. Cuisine includes local and international dishes and weekend buffet events are held on the broad open-air terraces. We also offer a range of acrobatic and cultural shows for our guest's entertainment.
We are expert in arranging breakfasts, lunches, dinners and cocktails on the shores of beautiful Lake Duluti. We have a number of dedicated sites, which are typically presented with tables, safari chairs, ‘bush bar' and a ‘bush kitchen', where a broad range of meats, poultry, fish and vegetables are cooked on-site (supplemented by fresh soups, salads and puddings from our kitchens). In the evenings, ‘sun-downer' cocktails are traditionally served around a campfire and can be followed by a lamp-lit ‘bush dinner'.
Conference and event facilities
The Serena Group has unrivalled experience in organizing a unique range of corporate and social events, all of which are supported by state-of-the-art facilities, orchestrated by highly-trained personnel, and enjoy luxury accommodation, world-class catering and diverse leisure options.
Mountain Village has its own dedicated conference facility, which stands in landscaped gardens immediately adjacent to the reception area. It offers:
• A series of generous rooms with external terraces
• A separate reception and registration area.
• Dedicated grounds, which can be used for social events or team-building pursuits.
• Integral break-away area for workshops, coffee, tea and cocktails.
• Modern, modular events furniture, which can be tailored to your specifications.
• PA system, LCD overhead projector, podium, flip charts and marker pens.
• Delegate pads, pens/pencils, individual mineral water supply.
• Business support (secretarial services, photo-copying, WiFi and a full range of global communications).
• ‘Meet and greet' services.
• Team-building programmes.
• Ample safe and secure parking.
• Generator power.
• Massage and health and beauty services.
Weddings and honeymoons
We have extensive experience in planning and staging a wide variety of weddings and receptions, we can also take care of all the necessary formalities; from provision of registrar and certificates to working with you to determine the type of cake, reception and entertainment you would like. We also offer some unique family and friends accommodation packages, ‘his and hers' pre-wedding preparation options, and a choice of honeymoon options.
Mountain Village makes the ideal wedding venue; the elegant central reception and landscaped grounds offer a superb backdrop for wedding photographs, which can also be set against the extensive gardens and the lakeshore. Our gracious dining room also lends itself well to a wedding reception and can be extended to include the exterior terraces, which overlook the flower gardens and lake. We can also offer a wide choice of venues for the ceremony itself, such as;
• On the lawns outside our restaurant
• On the shores of the lake - just five minute's walk from the lodge
• In our tented events space, which stands in the coffee plantation adjacent to the lake.
We can also offer:
• A traditional Maasai wedding
• Live bands, local dancers, choir
• Tailor-made wedding cake
• Themed wedding reception
• Colour-coordinated floral arrangements, bouquets and buttonholes
• Private candle-lit honeymoon dinner for two
• Luxurious honeymoon Suite supplied with tropical fruit and chilled champagne.
• Cultural dancing
• Photography and videoing of your special day.
• Special accommodation packages for the entire wedding party.
All Serena lodges are child-friendly and offer: family rooms, additional beds, cots, children's mealtimes and menus, babysitting services, educational materials, wildlife presentations, guided nature walks.
What to see and do
Standing on the edge of beautiful Lake Duluti, surrounded by coffee farms and with panoramic views across Mount Meru National Park, Mountain Village is just 15 minutes outside Tanzania's most famous safari town, Arusha, the gateway to the wonders of the Serengeti, Lake Manyara and the Ngorongoro Crater. The activities on offer at Mountain Village include:
• Morning bird walks around Lake Duluti with our resident naturalist
• An extensive selection of nature trails looping around the lake and through the shaded groves of neighbouring coffee plantations
• Mountain biking around the lake and coffee plantation circuits
• Walking and Jogging around the lake and plantation circuits
• Canoeing on the lake in sturdy 2-man canoes
• Trips to the craters, alkaline lakes, forests and peaks of nearby Arusha National Park
• Mountain Village serves as an ideal base camp from which to conquer the snow- capped peaks of Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest mountain (5, 895m)
• For those who prefer a slightly more unusual but equally rewarding climb, there is also nearby Mount Meru, Africa's 5th highest mountain, which offers endless opportunities for climbing, hiking, trekking or walking
• A number of villages in the Arusha region belong to the Cultural Tourism Programme and offer guests an unprecedented opportunity to experience the local people's lifestyle by means of visits to such venues as; Maasai homesteads, traditional cattle markets or women's handicrafts cooperatives
• Atmospheric ‘Sundowners' idyllically staged on wooded cliffs above the lake's mirrored waters as clouds of white egret come home to roost in their forest home.
• Wildlife and cultural talks, videos and film shows.
The Arusha National Park
The smallest yet one of the most beguiling of Tanzania's National Parks, the 137-sq-km Arusha National Park offers an unrivalled diversity of safari experiences due to the three distinct ecological zones of its composition. Activities range from a trek up the forested slopes of a fifteen million years old extinct volcano called Ngurdoto Crater, the discovery of the seven alkaline and flamingo-frosted Momela Lakes, which are the haunt of some 380 species of water birds, or an ascent to the misted heights of Mount Meru. At 4,566m above sea level Mount Meru is the 5th highest mountain in Africa and offers one of the continent's most rewarding climbs. Once as high as Kilimanjaro, a cataclysmic explosion two hundred and fifty thousand years ago blew out the entire eastern side of the Mountain, leaving only a vast crater and ash cone in its wake.
Fauna in the park includes: black and white colobus monkey, leopard, zebra, giraffe, reedbuck, waterbuck, buffalo, hyena, warthog, baboon, elephant and hippo.
Arusha Mountain Village - Arusha
Tanzania Safari Lodges, Tented Camps, Hotels & Resorts