Mombasa, North Coast, Kenya
Fringed by white beaches, and shaded by coconut palms, the silver ribbon of the Swahili coastline offers the ultimate tropical paradise. Bright white against the blue sky, set in extensive tropical gardens, the architecture of the Serena Beach Hotel and Spa replicates the winding lanes and colourful market places of a traditional 13th century Swahili town. At its heart lies the coral-built ‘Fortress of Tranquillity' of the exquisite ‘Maisha' Mind, Body and Spirit Spa.
• Wide selection of rooms and suites: all
• with AC, satellite TV, WiFi and voice-mail
• Extensive gardens, grounds and nature trails.
• Palm tree lawns and beach front.
• Central restaurant, Pizza and Grill Restaurant
• Jihazi Grill Seafood Restaurant on the beach.
• Selection of bars and Arabic Coffee Terrace
• Ice-cream Parlour.
• Live music nightly.
• Free form pool and swim-up bar.
• ‘Maisha' Spa and Health Club
• Extensive water sports and PADI Dive School.
• Animation programme
• Butterfly Centre and Turtle Watch Programme
• Dedicated world-class event and conference centre
• Business Centre, travel desk, taxi and limousine service.
• Wedding planning service
• Unisex hair salon.
• Gift Shop, news-stand and travel requisites kiosk.
• Baby-sitting, family rooms, children's dining/menus.
The resort is situated on Shanzu Beach 30 kilometres from Mombasa.
By road: transfers by road from Mombasa take approximately one hour.
By air: a ‘meet and greet' service for guests arriving from Moi International Airport Mombasa, is provided.
Our rooms and suites
We offer a wide range of rooms and suites, all of which are elegantly presented in a fusion of international and Swahili style and all of which have private balconies or terraces.
All our rooms and suites are equipped with: 24-hour room service, air-conditioning, WIFI and in-room modem hook-up, direct-dial phone, voice-mail, complementary newspaper, in-room satellite TV, mini bar, private safe, 240V/3 pin (square)sockets and shaver sockets, tea and coffee-making facilities, hair driers, mosquito nets, bathroom and slippers, umbrellas, in-room ‘butler bath' service (at additional cost), porter/concierge, airport shuttle and limousine service.
While most of our rooms are designated non-smoking, a number of rooms are available for smokers, but these should be booked in advance.
Dining at the Serena Beach Hotel and Spa
The Serena Beach Hotel offers a number of dining experiences, and a selection of bars, coffee shops and café areas, both inside and out. Choose from; the central Fountain Restaurant, the charming Jihazi Grill seafood restaurant, the central Sokoni Terrace brasserie and a wide choice of inside and outside bars.
The Fountain Restaurant
Cooled by a gentle ocean breeze and clustered around the hanging blossoms of a traditional Persian garden this sumptuous table d'hote restaurant features Swahili carvings, stained glass lanterns, Lamu-esque arches, marble fountains and wide verandas commanding views over waving palms and shimmering ocean.
The Jahazi Grill
Drawn up on the shoreline, just yards away from the breaking waves, and built to resemble a traditional Swahili dhow - complete with sanded decks, painted prow, roped capstans, lashed sails and kanga-decked tables, the Jahazi Grill specialises in stunning extravaganzas of fresh-caught seafood.
The grill offers inside seating on the upper and lower ‘decks' and outside tables on the soft silver sand of the beach. Menu choices include: crab, squid, lobster, prawns and a wide variety of sea fish. Vegetarian and non-fish options are also available. The restaurant is open for lunch (12.30 to 2 pm) and dinner (7.30 to 10 pm).
The Nyoti Terrace Bar and roof-top terrace
Located above the main restaurant, the Nyoti Terrace offers a large screen TV for sports viewing, card tables, cocktail bar, piano lounge and an external terrace with relaxed sofa seating and views over the palm trees to the Indian Ocean.
The Pool Bar
Offering both a shaded terrace and a ‘swim up' bar, the Pool Bar offers a wide range of drinks and cocktails. It also operates a day-long brasserie-style café service that includes; burgers, pizza, pasta, salads, ices, fresh fruits and more.
The Makuti Bar
Overlooking the ocean, this thatched bar offers all-day drinks and snacks plus a weekly Swahili buffet and handicraft market.
The Sokoni Terrace
The bustling Sokoni plaza is designed to resemble the colourful marketplace of a traditional Swahili town and features an ornamental fishpond, fluttering Arabian sunshades and a palm-thatched dining area offering fresh-baked pizzas and a wide range of international snacks.
The Sokoni Terrace restaurant serves all-day snacks, a wide selection of lunchtime grills, salads and international choices, and evening cocktails.
The Arabian Coffee Terrace
Overlooking the plaza, on a raised balcony opening off the central reception hall, is a terrace area offering inside and outside seating. Here traditional cardamom-flavoured Arabian coffee is served from traditional conical brass pots.
The Ice Cream Parlour
Centre stage to the bustle of the market place is the cool of the ice cream parlour offering everything from lavish knickerbockers glories to luscious fruit concoctions.
Conferences, meetings and events
The Serena Beach Hotel and Spa is the leading social and corporate-events venue on the Kenyan coast. A dedicated world-class event and conference centre, it stands in its own grounds offering a choice of three air-conditioned event or conference spaces, private kitchens, central Persian garden and extensive outdoor terraces.
Among the services offered are:
• PA system, table microphones, cordless microphones, TV/Video/DVD, LCD projector/screen, podium, white boards/flip charts and markers.
• WiFi connectivity.
• Delegate pads, pens/pencils and 1-litre mineral water.
• Modern, modular events furniture, which can be tailored to your specifications.
• Business support (secretarial services, photo-copying, WiFi and a full range of global communications).
• Registration staff and conference organization support.
• Floral services.
• 24-hour generator back-up.
• Travel desk for onward bookings or local safaris.
• Concierge services.
• Limousine and taxi services.
• ‘Meet and greet' services.
• A wide range of CEO suites.
• Extensive secure parking.
• Health Club and Spa for your delegates.
• Team-building programmes.
Weddings and honeymoons
Idyllically located on the Indian Ocean, the Serena Beach Hotel offers a wide range of wedding options. The social venue of choice, it features its own event centre with private entrance, reception areas and central Persian garden. It also offers state-of-the-art audio visual equipment, external cocktail terraces, spacious grounds for photo and video opportunities and a selection of superb suites.
As to formalities; from registrar to certificate, cake to champagne, all will be arranged. We also offer some unique family and friends accommodation packages, ‘his and hers' pre-wedding grooming, flowers for the venue and the bride, wedding planning service, professional banquet catering and limousine service.
We can arrange for adjoining rooms for the accommodation of families. We can also provide additional beds, cots and baby-sitting services (prior notice appreciated). Alternatively, we can recommend our specially planned Family Suites, as outlined below.
We offer a range of specially planned Family Suites. Each suite has a twin-bedded children's room with digital multi-channel TV, mini bar (which can be emptied on request), direct dial telephone, Internet connectivity, 24-hour room service and a private bathroom. The hotel also offers a children's animation programme; children's menus, a pizza restaurant and ice-cream parlour, baby-sitting services, nightly entertainment (clowns, acrobats etc), supervised nature trails, a delightful butterfly centre and sea turtle programme and a wide range of activities: ping pong, tennis, volley ball, pedalos, wind-surfing, yachting, swimming pool, water aerobics, coconut harvesting and more....
All our meals are generous buffet-styled presentations, with something to suit absolutely everyone. High-chairs can be provided, as can baby-friendly food. We are also delighted to offer slightly earlier children's meals (as early as 12 noon and 6.30 pm) - tailored to suit your children. The hotel also offers a pizza restaurant and ice-cream parlour in the Sokoni Plaza.
The lodge offers its own swimming pool (supervised by a qualified life-guard but not suited to small children other than under parental supervision) and a children's paddling pool.
Additionally we offer:
• A complete children's animation programme and animation team.
• Supervised nature trails.
• Free entry to our Butterfly Centre.
• Participation in our Sea Turtle Programme.
• Camel rides on the beach.
• Glass-bottom boat rides.
• Sporting activities to include: ping pong, tennis, volley ball, pedalos, wind-surfing, yachting, coconut-picking and archery.
• Free trial lessons in kite surfing, wind-surfing and diving.
• Giriama dancing and cultural displays.
• We can also arrange for culturally-interactive trips to local villages and/or schools.
• Educational evening talks by our resident naturalists.
• A selection of board games and books on Africa and wildlife.
• Visits to the nearby Haller Nature Park plus visits to nearby snake farms and ‘Wild Waters' water park, ‘Ngomongo' Cultural Village, Mombasa Marine Park, The Shimba Hills National Park, Gedi Ruins, Fort Jesus 17th century Portuguese fort and Mombasa Old Town.
Maisha, the Serena Mind, Body and Spirit Spa
The Serena Spa offers a central relaxation area (with spiritual library, Spa Boutique, and Spa Arena, luxurious changing areas (with spacious interior sauna and steam rooms; and exterior Jacuzzis), four individual treatment rooms (each with its own exterior garden, pergola shower and sundeck), one double treatment room, a Spa Bar (offering fresh-pressed juices, Spritzers and herbal infusions), and a communal garden.
Additionally, there is a fitness studio offering cardiovascular and isotonic machines and free weights and tennis and squash courts, and a luxury swimming pool. Within the main body of the resort are two Bedouin-styled beach-front Spa Massage Tents, and an open-air Spa Space where daily ‘Body Renewal' classes (‘Body Sculpture and Tone, Yoga, Martial arts, and Ayurvedic regimes) are held. Adjacent to the Spa, there is also a Spa Hair and Beauty Salon.
What to do and see
Located on Shanzu Beach, one of the finest and pristine beaches of the northern Kenya coast, the Serena Beach Hotel offers endless opportunities for sightseeing, sport, wilderness exploration and more. Listed below are just some of the many options.
• Enjoy a private ‘bubbly breakfast' for two on the beach.
• Participate in our daily activity programme.
• Visit the Butterfly Centre.
• Take part in the hotel's Turtle Protection Project.
• Visit one of the many tourist attractions of the area
• Take a champagne dhow cruise.
• Visit Mombasa
• Visit the ruins of an ancient Swahili town - Gedi.
• Visit Kisite Mpunguti Marine Park.
• Visit the Mombasa Marine National Park.
• Visit the Arabuko Sokoke Forest, one of the last remaining coastal rainforests.
• Visit the Shimba Hills National Reserve Swahili banquets under the stars.
• A kaleidoscope of nightly entertainment to include: live bands, discos, traditional dancing, acrobatic and gymnastic displays, magicians and fashion shows.
• Informative talks by our resident naturalist on - butterflies, coral, turtles, dolphins and much more...
• Afternoon cultural displays of dance, craft and music.
Sports and action
• Extensive complimentary water sports to include: windsurfing, catamaran sailing, introductory scuba diving lessons and snorkelling.
• PADI International Dive School
• Glass-bottom-boat rides to the coral gardens of the reef.
• Deep-sea fishing for marlin, tuna, wahoo and more.
• Floodlit tennis courts and air-conditioned squash courts.
• Shuffle board and crazy golf.
• Aerobics workouts and Aqua Aerobics.
• A fully equipped gymnasium with instructor.
• Beach walks and nature trails with our resident naturalist.
• Jogging trails around the nearby Bamburi Nature Trail.
• Swimming in the pool or in the sea.
• Volleyball, table tennis, darts and pool.
• The facilities of a nearby golf course.
• Serena Maisha Mind Body and Spirit Spa
Serena Beach Hotel & Spa • Kenya North Coast Hotels • Indian Ocean Beach Hotels & Resorts
Place your Kenya Hotel Booking Here!