A member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World
The most exclusive of the Serena Group's many safari venues, and a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group, Kirawira Tented Camp offers the epitome of classic ‘Out of Africa' safari camp luxury. Styled to replicate the elegant hunting camps of such legendary ‘white hunters' as Denys Finch Hatton and Baron Bror Blixen, it is located adjacent to the famous western corridor of the Serengeti National Park - arena of the ‘Greatest Wildlife Show on Earth', the annual migration of over one million wildebeest.
Designed in typically Edwardian style, this exclusive camp features an elegant central meeting tent evocatively furnished with a tasteful selection of chintz-covered chaises longues , Persian rugs, antique escritoire, wind-up phonograms, leather-bound travelling cases, brass shooting sticks, carved rocking chairs, and stud-backed smoking chairs.
In keeping with the theme of colonial opulence, the elegant twin dining tents feature Edwardian-styled dining furniture, sprung floors, crisp-starched napery, delicate blue and white china and weighty silver accoutrements, whilst the staff are attired in classical colonial ‘mess' uniform of white Swahili robes and turbans.
The camp has just 25 widely-spaced luxury tents, raised on timber platforms, each with a glorious view of the plains. Each tent has a spacious furnished deck leading to a bedroom furnished in antique Edwardian style with steamer-trunks, writing desk, brass lamps, rugs, sepia photographs and four-poster bed with patchwork quilt. Each tent has its own personal valet.
• Just 25 widely spaced luxury ensuite tents
• Each tent has its own ensuite bathroom with flushed WCs and showers
• Edwardian-styled lounge and bar
• Elegant tented dining tents with full silver service
• Gourmet 5-course lunches and dinners
• Fine wines
• Scenic safari bar with stone terrace
• Central fire-pit for evening sundowners
• Game drives daily
• Wedding planning and honeymoon venue
• Gift shop, business centre, WiFi
• Cultural dance and music
Ideally located on the famous Western Corridor
All the members of ‘The Big Five'
Action-packed game drives and safari programme
A ringside seat at the annual migration of the wildebeest
The camp is located in Western Serengeti, 335 kms from Arusha.
By road: transfers by road from Arusha take approximately 8-10 hours.
By air: the camp is adjacent to both the Seronera and Lobo airstrips and a ‘meet and greet' and transfer service is offered.
The Serengeti National Park
The endless plains
The vast and rolling Serengeti National Park is one of the world's most magnificent natural arenas. Here the harmony of nature can be appreciated as nowhere else on earth. Known to the local people as ‘Siringet', which means ‘the place of the endless plains', it is also the venue for ‘the greatest wildlife show on earth' the annual migration of over one million wildebeest and their attendant cast of herbivores and predators.
The luxury tents
The camp has just 25 widely-spaced luxury tents, raised on timber platforms, each with a glorious view of the plains. Each tent has a spacious furnished deck leading to a bedroom furnished in antique Edwardian style with steamer-trunks, writing desk, brass lamps, rugs, sepia photographs and four-poster bed with patchwork quilt.
The luxurious ensuite bathroom is fitted with carved mahogany furniture and features a classic black-and-white tiled floor (separate flushed WC, shower, twin marble basins, hot and cold running water). Each tent has its own personal valet.
Dining at Kirawira
In keeping with the theme of colonial opulence, the elegant twin dining tents feature Edwardian-styled dining furniture, sprung floors, crisp-starched napery, delicate blue and white china and silver accoutrements, whilst the staff are attired in classical colonial ‘mess' uniform of white Swahili robes and turbans.
The extensive menus, meanwhile, feature full English breakfasts and five-course luncheons and suppers comprising delicate soups, lavish roasts, classic salads, home-made sorbets, local cheese boards and fresh-brewed Arabica coffee, whilst the extensive wine cellar reflects the best of both European and South African choices.
We are expert in arranging breakfasts, lunches, dinners and cocktails in the bush. We have a number of dedicated sites, which are typically presented with tables, safari chairs, ‘bush bar' and a ‘bush kitchen', where a broad range of meats, poultry, fish and vegetables are cooked on-site (supplemented by fresh soups, salads and puddings from our hotel kitchens). In the evenings, ‘sun-downer' cocktails are traditionally served around a campfire and can be followed by a lamp-lit ‘bush dinner'.
Weddings, honeymoons and romance at Kirawira Tented Camp
For a wedding in classic Edwardian safari style, Kirawira is unrivalled. Exclusive, atmospheric and intimate it offers perfect photographic back-drops and a range of contrasting venues for the ceremony. Choices include: the terrace of the Edwardian tented lounge, which enjoys magnificent views across the plains; the stone-flagged terrace of the pool or on top of a nearby hill, with stunning 360 degree views across the Ndabaka Plains.
Wedding options include:
• Provision of registrar and all wedding formalities
• Traditional wedding with local chief, dancers and choi.
• Individually themed champagne reception - at the camp or in the bush
• Tailor-made wedding cake
• BBQ reception around the pool
• Private candle-lit honeymoon dinner for two: in the camp or in the bush
• Luxurious honeymoon tent supplied with wine and tropical fruit
• Cultural dance performance for you and your guests
• Photography and videoing of your special day
• Special accommodation packages for the entire wedding party.
Family time at Kirawira Tented Camp
At Serena, we appreciate the importance of quality family time. We're also committed to ensuring that you can relax, secure in the knowledge that the children are having as great a holiday as you are. With this in mind we offer a wide range of family-friendly tent options; children's dining; baby-sitting, and plenty of adventure, sports and educational entertainment for children of all ages.
We can arrange for adjoining tents for the accommodation of families. We can also offer triple tents or additional beds. Cots and baby-sitting services can be provided (prior notice appreciated).
High-chairs can be provided, as can baby-friendly food. We are also delighted to offer slightly earlier children's meals (as early as 12 noon and 6.30 pm) - tailored to suit your children.
The camp offers its own swimming pool (supervised by a qualified life-guard but not suited to small children other than under parental supervision) and paddling pond.
The camp also offers a wide selection of board-games and books on Africa and the wilderness. Our professional nature guides also offer nightly talks and video presentations on wildlife. Added to this, we can offer:
• Family game drives (day and night)- in our custom-built open-sided safari vehicles, which are ideal for children
• Family bush breakfasts, bush dinners or sundowners
• We can also arrange for culturally-interactive trips to local villages and/or schools
• Educational evening talks by our resident naturalists
• A selection of board games and books on Africa and wildlife
What to do and see at Kirawira
The choice of things to do and see while at Kirawira includes:
• Spectacular game drives around the stunning Serengeti ecosystem
• Gentle nature trails around the camp in the company of our resident naturalist
• Balloon safaris over the plains followed by a champagne breakfast at the bush-landing site
• A full safari breakfast, cooked in the bush
• A Bush Lunch
• Bush dinners on the plains
• Atmospheric ‘Sundowners'
• Traditional displays of dance, music and cultural performance.
• Nightly wildlife and cultural talks, videos and film shows.
• Maisha health, beauty and wellness facilities
• Natural stone sun-deck and panoramic pool