The Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area, Tanzania
Crater Forest Tented Camp is a small eco-friendly tented lodge that enjoys panoramic views over the Ngorongoro forest. Established on a highland coffee plantation called Kirin Coffee Estate, which stands at an altitude 1,800 metres above sea-level, Crater Forest Tented Camp stands on farmland directly bordering Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area (NCAA). Crater Forest Tented Camp offers just 15 tented rooms, all on platforms with en-suite bathrooms and private verandahs.
The Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area
Often referred to as ‘the eighth wonder of the world' the Ngorongoro Crater is one of Africa's best-known wildlife arenas. A World Heritage Site, the Ngorongoro Crater is also one of the largest volcanic craters in the world (almost 20 kilometres wide, 610-760 metres deep and covering a total area of 264 square kilometres). Due to the high concentration of wildlife in the Ngorongoro Crater, close-range viewing opportunities and striking scenery the Ngorongoro Crater is one of Tanzania's most visited sites (400,000 visitors in 2007). The Ngorongoro Crater is part of the larger Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area.
Tanzania luxury safari lodge: location
Crater Forest Tented Camp lies 10 km away from the main road leading to Karatu and the Ngorongoro Crater, which is within the larger Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area, which lies south-east of the Serengeti National Park, 165 km from Arusha.
Your Tanzania lodge safari
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
The Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA) was established in 1959, most of it having previously belonged to the now contiguous Serengeti National Park. The Ngorongoro Crater is only one of many natural attractions that are contained within the vast boundaries (8,300 sq km) of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
These include both dormant and active volcanoes, soaring mountains, archaeological treasures, rolling plains, rivers, forests, lakes and shifting sand dunes whilst almost half of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area is made up of vast tracts of open grassland, which swing in a vast arc stretching from the Serengeti in the northwest through the Gol Mountains to the Salei Plain in the northeast.
Close (20kms) to the centre of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area is Olduvai Gorge, the ‘Cradle of Mankind', where the remains of our earliest ancestors, the hominids, were found.
Ngorongoro Crater wildlife highlights
The Ngorongoro Crater hosts a large population of ungulates and high numbers of predators, particularly lion. The only absentees from the usual East African large mammals are the giraffe, impala and female and young elephants.
Tanzania luxury safari lodge: accommodation
Crater Forest Tented Camp offers just 15 tented rooms, all on platforms with thatched roofs, en-suite bathrooms (hot and cold running water, showers and flushed WCs) and private verandahs.
Each tent has its own small lounge area. Crater Forest Tented Camp offers complimentary early morning tea and coffee and provides: soap, towels, bottled water, mosquito nets, torch and electric lights in tent and bathroom (charger sockets and lights only).
Tanzania luxury safari lodge: dining and bars
Crater Forest Tented Camp offers a restaurant serving both international cuisine and local African dishes (made from locally grown produce). There is also a bar. Campfires and hurricane lamps light the camp in the evening, making for an enchanted setting. There is also a comfortable lounge, curio shop and reception.
Conference and event facilities Crater Forest Tented Camp
Crater Forest Tented Camp does not offer specific conference facilities but will be happy to quote for small meetings and social gatherings. Tanzania lodge incentives can also be arranged within the Ngorongoro Crater or the larger Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
Weddings and honeymoons Crater Forest Tented Camp
This Tanzania lodge makes an ideal Tanzania wedding destination. The lodge also offers wedding and honeymoon packages.
Child-friendly facilities Crater Forest Tented Camp
Crater Forest Tented Camp welcomes children and will be pleased to supply additional beds.
What to see and do Crater Forest Tented Camp
Crater Forest Tented Camp offers:
• Evening sundowners on your private verandah or in the bush and forest surrounding the Crater Forest Tented Camp
• Mountain Bikes: The area is excellent for mountain biking, and Crater Forest Tented Camp has developed exciting trails to explore.
• Cultural Tours: Crater Forest Tented Camp Maasai guides are more than happy to show you around the area, to tell you about their culture and to share their knowledge of local wildlife and vegetation with you.
• Coffee Estate Tour: As Crater Forest Tented Camp is on part of a coffee farm, the management can arrange a guided coffee tour as an interesting change after all the wildlife viewing. See how coffee is grown, harvested and processed at the coffee factory on the estate and have a sip of the freshly produced arabica coffee.
• Forest Walks: Accompanied by an Ngorongoro Conservation Area ranger for safety, one can walk straight from the lodge into the Ngorongoro Conservation Area forest. Experience the thrill of possibly coming across an elephant or a buffalo in their natural surroundings on one of the many animal trails found in the forest.
• Sundowners on the rim of the crater, full English breakfast on the floor of the crater.
• Picnic lunch by the hippo pools on the crater floor.
• Early morning breakfast on the crater floor
• Maasai dance and theatre nightly
• Visits to Maasai villages and cattle markets
• The lodge works closely with the surrounding Maasai community and offers visits to Maasai manyattas and handicraft centres. Traditional Maasai dance displays are held regularly. Crater Forest Tented Camp is also within easy reach of Ol Duvai Gorge, the paleolithic site and reputed ‘birthplace of mankind'.
Safari lodge experiences in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Typical Tanzania safari experiences at Crater Forest Tented Camp include: morning or afternoon tours of the Ngorongoro Crater, safari game drives in especially adapted 4WD safari vehicles (with professionally trained Tanzania safari guides) around the crater rim, safari bush breakfasts, lunches and dinners; cocktails around the lodge safari campfire and guided safari walks around the crater rim, visits to view ancient rock art. Crater Forest Tented Camp also offers ornithological tours, cultural performances and visits to the local Maasai people of Tanzania.
Tanzania safari lodge experiences around the Ngorongoro Crater
Wildlife and cultural venues in the vicinity of the lodge and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area include:
• Ol Duvai Gorge - world renowned paleolithic site
• The Serengeti National Park
• Lake Manyara National Park
• The nearby Empaki volcanic crater
• Tarangire National Park
Crater Forest Tented Camp - Ngorongoro • Tanzania Safari Tented Camps
To enquire about booking this Tanzania safari hotel, please Contact Us!