Ol Pejeta Game Conservancy, Nanyuki, Kenya
A private conservancy with a higher wildlife-to-area ratio than any of Kenya's national parks
A sheltered oasis, clustered around a water hole and set in the pristine calm of the private Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Sweetwaters Tented Camp offers a charming blend of under-canvas ambiance and safari luxury.
Located on the plains of Mount Kenya, the camp features thirty-nine luxury tents, each with its own private veranda overlooking the water hole. The central Rhino Restaurant is housed in the former manager's house of this once colonial farm, and offers both regional and international cuisine. Also within the house is the Kashoggi Bar and lounge, which centres on a blazing log fire. The Waterhole Bar, built in the style of a game-viewing hide, overlooks the waterhole and offers unrivalled wildlife-watching.
Host to all the members of the ‘Big Five' (elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo and leopard), the conservancy has a higher wildlife-to-area ratio than any Kenyan national park and is one of only four private game conservancies to have been founded in Kenya. At the forefront of the Kenyan conservancy programme, the conservancy boasts the largest black rhino sanctuary in East Africa, hosts the only chimpanzee sanctuary in Kenya, and shelters large numbers of rare and endangered species.
Kenya hotels and accommodation
Amongst the wide range of Kenya hotels, some make the ideal Kenya safari destination. Choose a safari lodge, safari hotel, bush camp, luxury lodge, safari camp, tented camp or bush lodge. National park accommodation usually takes the form of a traditional safari lodge or tented camp, but numerous other options exist on the park boundaries. Luxury lodges and luxury camp options are also offered in the private wildlife conservancies.
• Day and night game drives daily
• Luxury tented accommodation
• Swimming pool and extensive grounds
• Central Rhino Restaurant
• Colonial-styled lounge and bar
• Extensive grounds
• Private waterhole and night viewing bar
• Conference room
• Wedding planning and honeymoon venue
• Gift shop, business centre, WiFi
• Satellite TV room
• Camel treks, guided nature walks, bird spotting
• Cultural dance and music
The camp lies at the centre of the 110,000-acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy, which lies on the Laikipia plains 17 kilometres from Nakuru and 217 kilometres from Nairobi.
By road: transfers by road from Nairobi take approximately 2-3 hours.
By air: the airstrip is adjacent to the camp and a ‘meet and greet' and transfer service is offered.
The camp is gathered around a waterhole and features two rows of tents, which are reached via a series of stone pathways, which wind through our landscaped grounds.
The camp has 39 luxury tents, each with its own ensuite bathroom (hot and cold running water, 24-hour hot showers and flushed WCs). All our tents have luxury canvas interiors, solid floors and separate thatched roofs. Electricity is provided by 24 hour generator. 14 of our tents are on raised platforms with private balconies, the rest have private verandas, all with safari chairs and tables. Extra beds and cots can also be provided.
Each tent features either a king-sized double bed or two twins. Mosquito nets are provided, as are hot water bottles at night.
Tent facilities include
• 24 hour hot water and electricity
• Valet and shoeshine service
• Mineral water and toiletries
• Bathrobe and slippers
• Tent service
• Safe and hairdryers (from reception)
• 24-hour medical service
• Children's meals, beds, babysitting
Dining at Sweetwaters Tented Camp
The Rhino Dining Room is located within what was once the ranch manager's house and has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the waterhole. The bar is also located within the house and features a blazing log fire and a typically colonial ambiance. The Water Hole Bar is located in a traditional ‘hide' which overlooks the water and offers unique opportunities for wildlife viewing.
Conferences, meetings and events
Sweetwaters has its own dedicated conference room, which stands in landscaped gardens immediately adjacent to the pool. Light and airy, it offers:
• A compact, room with an external terrace and lawns where delegate reception procedures can be hosted.
• Modern, modular events furniture, which can be tailored to your specifications.
• PA system, LCD overhead projector, podium, flip charts and marker pens.
• Delegate pads, pens/pencils, individual mineral water supply.
• Business support (secretarial services, photo-copying, WiFi and a full range of global communications).
• ‘Meet and greet' services.
Weddings, honeymoons and romance at Sweetwaters Tented Camp
If you'd like to say ‘I do' under African skies, and spend your honeymoon in a land of incomparable enchantment, then say ‘Yes!' at Sweetwaters. We guarantee you a beautiful day and a wedding banquet in traditional safari style. We can also offer you a Maasai, Samburu and Pokot guard of honour, as well as traditional dancers and musicians.
As to formalities; from registrar to certificate, cake to champagne, all will be arranged. We also offer some unique family and friends accommodation packages, ‘his and hers' pre-wedding preparation options, a charming honeymoon tent, breakfast by the river or a bush dinner just for two.
Wedding options include:
• Traditional Samburu or Maasai wedding with local chief, dancers and choir.
• Bush, garden, poolside or riverside wedding ceremony.
• Wedding marquee.
• Individually themed champagne reception - at the camp or in the bush.
• Tailor-made wedding cake.
• BBQ reception around the pool.
• Private candle-lit honeymoon dinner for two: in the camp or in the bush.
• Luxurious honeymoon tent supplied with wine and tropical fruit.
• Cultural dance performance for you and your guests.
• Photography and videoing of your special day.
• Special accommodation packages for the entire wedding party.
• Samburu guard of honour, arrival of the bride by camel.
We can arrange for adjoining tents for the accommodation of families. We can also offer triple tents or additional beds. Cots and baby-sitting services can be provided (prior notice appreciated).
All our meals are generous buffet-styled presentations, with something to suit absolutely everyone. High-chairs can be provided, as can baby-friendly food. We are also delighted to offer slightly earlier children's meals (as early as 12 noon and 6.30 pm) - tailored to suit your children.
The lodge offers its own swimming pool (supervised by a qualified life-guard but not suited to small children other than under parental supervision).
We also offer a wide selection of board-games and books on Africa and the wilderness. Our professional nature guides also offer nightly talks and video presentations on wildlife.
Added to this, we can offer:
• Lion-tracking on an early morning game drive - to locate a number of radio-collared lions, which can be tracked with GPS devices.
• Camel rides around the camp or in the surrounding conservancy.
• Visits to the chimpanzee sanctuary - home to 43 chimps and with its own education centre.
• Visits to the Ol Pejeta Educational Centre.
• Visit to the Ereri Cultural Village, home to a group of Maasai, Pokot and Samburu people.
• One hour guided nature walks.
• Family game drives (day and night)- in our custom-built open-sided safari vehicles, which are ideal for children.
• Family breakfasts by the river.
• Maasai and Samburu dancing and cultural displays.
• We can also arrange for culturally-interactive trips to local villages and/or schools.
• Educational evening talks by our resident naturalists.
• A selection of board games and books on Africa and wildlife.
Maisha Mind Body and Spirit
At Sweetwaters you can enjoy:
• A range of holistic massage experiences.
• Manicure and pedicure.
• An exclusive range of ‘Elemis' facial and body treatments.
What to do and see
Located on an exclusive game conservancy, which also hosts its own chimpanzee sanctuary, cultural village and educational centre, Sweetwaters Tented Camp offers a wide range of experiences. Offering a greater game to area ratio than any Kenyan national parks, the conservancy also offers prime game viewing by both day and night.
Amongst the many things to do and see, guests are invited to:
• Take a game drive (6.30 am, 9 am or 4 pm), all in our custom-built open-sided six-person safari vehicles (professional guides, refreshments on-board, radio-links for fast location of game)
• Go lion tracking on the conservancy
• Enjoy the unique experience of a night game drive
• Have ‘sun-downers' on the plains
• Enjoy a unique ‘Bush Dinner' at Elephant Swamp
• Enjoy a unique ‘Bush Breakfast' at the hippo hide
• Visit the chimpanzee sanctuary
• Visit the conservancy's educational centre
• Take a guided nature walk around the camp or within the conservancy
• Visit the Ereri Cultural Village, home to Maasai, Samburu and Pokot people
• Take a camel ride around the camp or in the conservancy
• Learn more about the conservancy's unique birdlife - professional ornithological tours - for amateurs or professionals
• Do some swimming or sun-bathing
• Sample our Serena ‘Maisha Mind, Body and Spirit Spa' services; a massage, facial, manicure or more...
Sweetwaters Tented Camp - Ol Pejeta • Luxury Safari Camp • Kenya Hotels, Safari Lodges, Tented Camps
Place your Kenya Safari Hotel Booking Here!